Re: PG11 jit failing on ppc64el - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG11 jit failing on ppc64el
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 3:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> For entertainment's sake, I tried building --with-llvm on FreeBSD 12
>> arm64 (hey, gotta do something with this raspberry pi toy I got).

> Neat.  Quite tempted to get one!

Fair warning: the newest "3B+" model contains new ethernet and wireless
chips that none of the BSDen have drivers for yet.  I ended up spending
an extra $10 on a USB WiFi dongle so that I could get the thing on the
network.  Compared to the price of the RPI itself, seems like highway
robbery.  (But then again, the keyboard I plugged into it is worth
more than the RPI, not to mention the monitor.)

>> I used llvm-devel-7.0.d20180327 which seems to be the latest available in
>> FreeBSD's package system.  Builds cleanly, does not work at all.

> Hmm.  I just tried llvm-devel-7.0.d20180327 on my amd64 FreeBSD 12
> system and our make check passed with flying colours.

Hmph.  Looking closer, "does not work at all" is overly negative.
It gets about halfway through the core regression tests and then
crashes on one specific query in the "inherit" test:

2018-05-24 01:22:28.657 EDT [51790] LOG:  server process (PID 52037) was terminated by signal 11: Segmentation fault
2018-05-24 01:22:28.657 EDT [51790] DETAIL:  Failed process was running: select * from matest0 order by 1-id;

Still trying to get more info on exactly where it's going off the
rails --- gdb has got some problems with printing such deep stacks,
and for some reason "ulimit -s" doesn't work to make the available
stack space smaller.