Re: cypg.dll, libpq_a, initdb max_connections 60 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: cypg.dll, libpq_a, initdb max_connections 60
Date
List pgsql-patches
Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> writes:
> With this patch we might want to rename libpq.a to libpq.dll.a in our
> install step later.

Isn't ".dll.a" a contradiction in terms?  This doesn't seem
well-thought-out at all to me.  Also the end result would have to
be much more invasive than you suggest here, since there are many
more programs besides pg_ctl that use libpq.

> + #ifdef __CYGWIN__
> +     static const int conns[] = {60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 5};
> + #else
>       static const int conns[] = {100, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10};
> + #endif

This part is just silly.  If your system can't support ten connections
I think you need to fix your system.  Also, we are not in the habit of
plastering the source with platform-specific ifdefs just to save a
couple of cycles during initialization.  If the probe at 100 caused an
actual failure on cygwin, I'd accept such a patch, but not otherwise.
How legible do you think this code would be if we tried to #ifdef in
platform-specific limits for every port we support?

            regards, tom lane