Re: what should install-world do when docs are not available? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: what should install-world do when docs are not available?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Right now if one does install-world with autoconf, without having xmllint or
> xsltproc available, one gets an error:
> ERROR: `xmllint' is missing on your system.

> Is that good? Should meson behave the same?

Since install-world is defined to install documentation, it should
do so or fail trying.  Maybe we could skip the xmllint step, but you'd
still need xsltproc so I'm not sure that that moves the bar very far.

> If that's what we decide to do, perhaps "docs" should be split further? The
> dependencies for pdf generation are a lot more heavyweight.

Yeah.  Personally I think "docs" should just build/install the HTML
docs, but maybe I'm too narrow-minded.

> We should probably also generate a useful error when the stylesheets aren't
> available.

Maybe, but we haven't had that in the autoconf case either, and there
have not been too many complaints.  Not sure it's worth putting extra
effort into.