Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: A rough roadmap for internationalization fixes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Actually, what will more likely happen is that we'll define a collation as
> a collection of one or more support functions, the equivalents of
> strxfrm() and possibly a few more.  Then it will be up to those functions
> to define the collation order.  The server will provide utility functions
> that will facilitate implementing a collation order that follows the
> Unicode collation algorithm, but you could just as well implement one
> using memcmp() or whatever you like.

That sounds like a good plan to me.  Personally I'd want a
memcmp()-based collation implementation available, so that people who
don't care about sorting anything beyond 7-bit ASCII don't need to pay
a lot of overhead.

We have seen over and over that strcoll() is depressingly slow in some
locales (at least on some platforms).  Do you have any feeling for the
real-world performance of the Unicode algorithm?