Re: BUG #17385: "RESET transaction_isolation" inside serializable transaction causes Assert at the transaction end - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17385: "RESET transaction_isolation" inside serializable transaction causes Assert at the transaction end
Date
In response to Re: BUG #17385: "RESET transaction_isolation" inside serializable transaction causes Assert at the transaction end  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
Responses Re: BUG #17385: "RESET transaction_isolation" inside serializable transaction causes Assert at the transaction end  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2022 at 6:50 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> It seems like a GUC might have an old value that we couldn't necessarily
>> RESET to, without also wanting to exempt it from RESET ALL.  However,
>> if it isn't exempt, yet the check_hook fails, what shall we do then?
>> Is throwing an error the best thing, or should we silently leave the
>> variable alone?  I think a lot of people would be unhappy if RESET ALL
>> / DISCARD ALL had failure conditions of this sort.  Should we document
>> that GUCs having state-dependent restrictions on their values had
>> better be marked GUC_NO_RESET_ALL?  If so, can we enforce that?

> Why do RESET ALL and RESET work differently with respect to resetting
> one GUC in the first place? IOW why GUC_NO_RESET_ALL works only in
> RESET ALL? It seems to me that RESET ALL is a command to do RESET
> every single GUC, so if a GUC is exempt from RESET ALL it should be
> exempt also from RESET.

I toyed with that idea for awhile too, but looking through the current
set of GUC_NO_RESET_ALL variables dissuaded me from it.  The
transaction-property GUCs need this behavior or something like it,
but the rest don't.  In particular, I fear that turning RESET ROLE
into a no-op would create security bugs for applications that
expect the current behavior.

Having said that, it does seem like GUC_NO_RESET_ALL is pretty
intellectually-inconsistent by definition.  I'm just not sure that
we can redefine our way out of that at this late date.

            regards, tom lane