Re: BEGIN-cascade blocks application - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BEGIN-cascade blocks application
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Christoph Haller <ch@rodos.fzk.de> writes:
> I've turned on statement logging to find out
> about the last one being processed. It was
> BEGIN;
> WARNING:  BEGIN: already a transaction in progress

> It was the last of a cascade of duplicate BEGINs,
> and the only reason I could see for the application being blocked
> was this cascade.

I don't think so.  An extra BEGIN is a complete no-op except for
issuing that warning message.

> I eliminated those duplicates and now the
> application runs without any stops.

You fixed a bug in your application logic, then.  Or maybe the bug is
still there but happened not to be triggered in your second test.

Just to check, I fired 100000 consecutive "BEGIN;"s at PG 7.3.6 on
HPUX 10.20, and didn't see any particular hiccup... and no, I don't
think this was affected by any bugfixes between 7.3.4 and 7.3.6 ...
        regards, tom lane