Re: Cause of ERROR: could not open relation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Cause of ERROR: could not open relation
Date
List pgsql-general
"Wyatt Tellis" <wtellis@radiology.ucsf.edu> writes:
>> I'm running 8.1.4 on W2K3 R2. I occasionally get errors of the type:
>> ERROR: could not open relation 1663/856689/856777: Invalid argument

> Is there a command or way to determine if an index is corrupt? Is there
> anyway to discern this info from the error message itself (i.e. are the
> numbers a pointer to a specific index)?

856689 references a database OID (try "select datname from pg_database
where oid = 856689") and then 856777 is a relfilenode (in that database,
do "select relname from pg_class where relfilenode = 856777").

As for what "Invalid argument" on a file open might mean, my personal
advice is to get a real operating system.  W2K is by far the weakest
link in your platform.

            regards, tom lane