Re: is this a bug or I am blind? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
Date
Re: is this a bug or I am blind?
List pgsql-general
> On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 01:06:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Ah.  So we could redefine hashtext() to return the hash of the strxfrm
>> value.  Slow, but a lot better than giving up hash join and hash
>> aggregation altogether...

> Not to put too fine a point on it, but either you want locale-sensetive
> sorting or you don't.

Nobody's said anything about giving up locale-sensitive sorting.  The
question is about locale-sensitive equality: does it really make sense
that 'tty' = 'tyty'?  Would your answer change in the context
'/dev/tty' = '/dev/tyty'?  Are you willing to *not have access* to a
text comparison operator that will make the distinction?

I'm inclined to think that this is more like the occasional need for
accent-insensitive comparisons.  It seems generally agreed that you want
something like smash('ab') = smash('áb') rather than making the
strings equal in all contexts.

Of course, not being a native speaker of any of the affected languages,
my opinion shouldn't be taken too seriously ...

            regards, tom lane