Re: Strange query results with invalid multibyte - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Strange query results with invalid multibyte
Date
List pgsql-general
Joost Kraaijeveld <J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl> writes:
>> LANG=en_US locale charmap

> The working machine says: ISO-8859-1
> The not working machine says: ISO-8859-1

OK, so the problem is that you have a locale that expects ISO-8859-1
encoding, but the database is set to UTF8 encoding, and that means
it may contain characters that the locale can't deal with.
Locale-dependent operations ... like upper() ... will fail when that
happens.

If we had a more reliable way of telling what encoding the locale
expects, we'd probably forbid creation of databases with incompatible
encodings.

> I still do not understand what is happening and maybe more important,
> how I can solve this (without re-installing the OS / database).

If you want to use UTF8 then you're stuck with a re-initdb I'm afraid.

            regards, tom lane