Re: Future Non-server Windows support??? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Haught
Subject Re: Future Non-server Windows support???
Date
Re: Future Non-server Windows support???  (Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at>)
List pgsql-general
On 2/24/2019 12:05 PM, Bill Haught wrote:
> I noticed that for 11.2, non-server versions of Windows are not listed
> as supported platforms.  Is support in the process of being dropped for
> non-server editions of Windows when 10.7 is no longer supported
> (apparently years away though)?  Or will such support be added to 11.2
> or some later versions in the future?
>
> Thanks in advanced.

Sorry about not responding for so long. I have my own personal problems.

The main reason for any interest in PostgreSQL is that software and
software support comes and goes.  Finally LibreOffice not only supports
PostgreSQL directly (without having to go through ADO/JDBC/ODBC) but
MySQL and Firebird.  It even now has a Firebird embedded database which
also is probably overkill for LibreOffice users (or at the very least
most of them).  SQLite is strangely absent, never mind the fact that
they probably should have gone with it in the first place instead of HSQLDB.

I downloaded the 10.2-1 version of both EnterpriseDB and BigSQL versions
but haven't gotten around to actually trying to get my rather small
access format (accdb) databases in Firebird format and a backup, e.i.,
PostgeSQL format.

I am surprised that I overlooked BigSQL's explicit support for later
versions.  Even if EnterpriseDB doesn't state that they support Windows
10 it could be an oversight and even if not likely to run anyway.

My main concern is that Microsoft has Enterprise versions of Windows and
versions for everything else which makes me wonder if at some point
Windows versions for desktop use may not have features needed by some
database applications or differences between the versions may be enough
to necessitate slight tweaks to code and compiling additional versions.