Re: PG 7.4 BETA 3: Bug in NULL arrays updating - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG 7.4 BETA 3: Bug in NULL arrays updating
Date
Re: PG 7.4 BETA 3: Bug in NULL arrays updating  (Bertrand Petit <pgsql@phoe.frmug.org>)
List pgsql-bugs
Bertrand Petit <pgsql@phoe.frmug.org> writes:
>     When updating a NULL cell which is an array of something,
> setting an adressed member of a non existent array, the value of the
> cell is not changed.

Assigning to a member of a NULL array has always yielded another NULL
array.  While I've never been particularly satisfied with that behavior
either, it has some logical symmetry to it.  What do you think the
behavior ought to be?  (In particular, if a non-null array should
result, where do we get its dimensions and subscripts from?)

            regards, tom lane