Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_regress.sh startup failure patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
Dave Page <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk> writes:
>> Why would it take more than 3 seconds to start the postmaster
>> under Cygwin?  Something awfully fishy about that, unless
>> you're using a 286 ...

> On a Dell Inspiron 8000, PIII 850MHz, 512Mb RAM, Windows XP Pro (kept nice
> and tidy with no junk wasting resources), 7.2b4 takes about 15 seconds to
> get to 'the database system is ready' message. Subsequent startups take
> about 6 or 7 seconds following a controlled *or* uncontrolled shutdown. I
> get about 15 seconds again the first startup after a reboot.

Hm.  I'm accustomed to seeing postmaster startup take about one second
--- possibly more if recovery from WAL entries is needed, but this
wouldn't apply normally.  That's on machines a *lot* slower than you
two are using.  Something is taking an unreasonably long time there.
It'd be worth poking into it to try to figure out what.

            regards, tom lane