Re: "could not reattach to shared memory" captured in buildfarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "could not reattach to shared memory" captured in buildfarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Somebody else mentioned, and IIRC I talked to Dave about this before,
> that this could be because the address is no longer available. The
> reason for this could be some kind of race condition in the backends
> starting - the address is available when the postmaster starts and thus
> it's used, but when a regular backend starts, the memory is used for
> something else.

How is it no longer available, when the new backend is a brand new
process?  The "race condition" bit seems even sillier --- if there
are multiple backends starting, they're each an independent process.