Re: Add llvm version into the version string - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Add llvm version into the version string
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6@gmail.com> writes:
> In many jit related bug reports, one of the first questions is often
> "which llvm version is used". How about adding it into the
> PG_VERSION_STR, similar to the gcc version?

I'm pretty down on this idea as presented, first because our version
strings are quite long already, and second because llvm is an external
library.  So I don't have any faith that what llvm-config said at
configure time is necessarily the exact version we're using at run
time.  (Probably, the major version must be the same, but that doesn't
prove anything about minor versions.)

Is there a way to get the llvm library's version at run time?  If so
we could consider building a new function to return that.