Re: [SQL] table aliasing problem with 6.5... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [SQL] table aliasing problem with 6.5...
Date
Re: [SQL] table aliasing problem with 6.5...  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-sql
> OK, I have added an elog(NOTICE) for this behavior:
>     test=> select * from pg_language;
>     lanname |lanispl|lanpltrusted|lanplcallfoid|lancompiler
>     --------+-------+------------+-------------+--------------
>     internal|f      |f           |            0|n/a
>     lisp    |f      |f           |            0|/usr/ucb/liszt
>     C       |f      |f           |            0|/bin/cc
>     sql     |f      |f           |            0|postgres
>     (4 rows)
>     test=> select pg_language.*;
--> NOTICE:  Auto-creating query reference to table pg_language
>     lanname |lanispl|lanpltrusted|lanplcallfoid|lancompiler
>     --------+-------+------------+-------------+--------------
>     internal|f      |f           |            0|n/a
>     lisp    |f      |f           |            0|/usr/ucb/liszt
>     C       |f      |f           |            0|/bin/cc
>     sql     |f      |f           |            0|postgres
>     (4 rows)

> I am interested in comments about my wording, and this behavour.

I think this is a fine idea, but that wording might not be much help
to novices.  Maybe "Adding missing FROM-clause entry for pg_language",
or some such?

In a situation where you've got subselects, it may not be immediately
obvious which FROM list the entry got added to.  I can't think of any
simple way of identifying that, however :-(
        regards, tom lane