Re: problems with set_config, work_mem, maintenance_work_mem, and sorting - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: problems with set_config, work_mem, maintenance_work_mem, and sorting
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql@jamponi.net> writes:
> On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Hmph ... does seem a bit weird.  Can you turn on log_statements and
>> identify which operations aren't using the session values?

> I had log_min_duration_statement = 1000.

That's not really going to prove much, as you won't be able to see any
commands that might be setting or resetting the work_mem parameters.

> ... which is the ORM library (SQLAlchemy) doing a reflection of the
> table(s) involved.

Oh, there's an ORM involved?  I'll bet a nickel it's doing something
surprising, like not issuing your SET until much later than you thought.

            regards, tom lane