Re: Alter Contraint - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Alter Contraint
Date
List pgsql-general
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
> AFAIK, SET CONSTRAINTS only lets you change the check time of
> deferrable constraints, it doesn't let you make a not deferrable
> constraint deferrable.

Good point, if your constraint wasn't deferrable to begin with then
you can't make it so with SET.  But on the other hand, making it so
is a one-time operation, so deleting and recreating the constraint
doesn't seem that big a deal.  If I recall Peter's original message,
he was mainly concerned about flipping from the not-deferred to deferred
state and back efficiently --- that's what SET seems designed for.

I have nothing against providing an ALTER if someone wants to do the
legwork, but it doesn't seem like a high-priority problem ...

            regards, tom lane