Re: NT + deadlock intended behaviour ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: NT + deadlock intended behaviour ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> First of all, let me point that the behavior on deadlock has been agreed
> to change.  Instead of only aborting the innermost transaction, it will
> abort the whole transaction tree.

Who agreed to that?  Your example is entirely unconvincing --- deadlock
is very far from being the only failure that will recur indefinitely,
if an app writer is so foolish as to code an indefinite retry loop.
Any simple illegal-data-value error will act the same.

I do not think declaring by fiat that certain types of errors abort the
whole tree is acceptable from the user end or reasonable from the
implementation end.