Re: pg_xlog and the WAL files - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_xlog and the WAL files
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Achakzai, Omar" <omar.achakzai@logicacmg.com> writes:
> 1. What happens when the file system on which the pg_xlog directly resides,=
>  completely fills up? Does PostgreSQL wait until free space is available ag=
> ain?=20

I believe it'll PANIC and shut down.  You won't lose any committed
transactions ... but transactions in progress are out of luck.

> 2. Our PostgreSQL database (version 8.1.4.) generates almost 20 GB of WAL f=
> iles per hour! What are the best practices related to administering large a=
> mounts of WAL files? Would it be wise to compress the WAL files?=20

What are your checkpoint settings?  Reducing checkpoint frequency is one
way to cut the WAL volume.

            regards, tom lane