Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/14/2018 02:02 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Dominic Jones <jonesd@xmission.com> writes:
>> The PostgreSQL 10.4 upgrade involves changes to some function markings (see release notes, E.1.2, second and third
bulletpoints for specifics). One way to make these changes is to use `ALTER FUNCTION` to change the functions in your
existingdatabases. While this was mainly straightforward, I'm unclear on whether the `template0` database must be
changedin this manner or if it is automatically updated when the upgrade is applied. The documentation indicates that
ingeneral you shouldn't manually change the `template0` database.

> Yes, you'd need to fix it in template0 as well, or you risk
> subsequently-created databases not having the fix.  See previous
> minor releases where we've given more painstaking detail about
> applying catalog corrections, e.g. 9.6.4:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-9-6-4.html
>
> I didn't bother with spelling it all out in full detail this time,
> which maybe was a mistake, but I felt that probably most users
> wouldn't need to bother with these changes at all (unlike the case
> where a catalog correction is security-related).

Well what is nice about the news release is you can cut and past the
entire list of commands and do the updates en masse.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com