Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0
Date
Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0  (Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>)
List pgsql-general
> On 05/14/2018 02:02 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I didn't bother with spelling it all out in full detail this time,
>> which maybe was a mistake, but I felt that probably most users
>> wouldn't need to bother with these changes at all (unlike the case
>> where a catalog correction is security-related).

> Well what is nice about the news release is you can cut and past the
> entire list of commands and do the updates en masse.

It'd be nice to have some more-automated way of doing this type of
correction.  Ordinary scripting doesn't look very promising, because
I don't see an easy way to deal with the need to connect to every
database in the cluster; that seems to depend on a lot of local
characteristics about usernames and authentication.

Maybe it'd be worth building some sort of infrastructure that would
allow this to be done at a lower level.  It's not hard to imagine
an autovacuum-like or bgworker-based thingy that could run around
and apply a given SQL script in every database, bypassing the usual
worries about authentication and connections-disabled databases.
That seems like a lot of work for a need that only comes up once in
awhile, but perhaps it'd have more applications than just catalog
corrections.

            regards, tom lane