Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0
Date
Re: 10.4 upgrade, function markings, and template0
List pgsql-general
Dominic Jones <jonesd@xmission.com> writes:
> The PostgreSQL 10.4 upgrade involves changes to some function markings (see release notes, E.1.2, second and third
bulletpoints for specifics). One way to make these changes is to use `ALTER FUNCTION` to change the functions in your
existingdatabases. While this was mainly straightforward, I'm unclear on whether the `template0` database must be
changedin this manner or if it is automatically updated when the upgrade is applied. The documentation indicates that
ingeneral you shouldn't manually change the `template0` database.

Yes, you'd need to fix it in template0 as well, or you risk
subsequently-created databases not having the fix.  See previous
minor releases where we've given more painstaking detail about
applying catalog corrections, e.g. 9.6.4:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-9-6-4.html

I didn't bother with spelling it all out in full detail this time,
which maybe was a mistake, but I felt that probably most users
wouldn't need to bother with these changes at all (unlike the case
where a catalog correction is security-related).

            regards, tom lane