Re: pg_dump --table=* dumps nothing? - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump --table=* dumps nothing?
Date
List pgsql-patches
David Walter <dwalter@syr.edu> writes:
> Using pg_dump version 7.3.4 with the following options
> no table data is dumped.

> pg_dump -i --table=* --schema-only db

Current sources interpret this as asking to dump a table named "*".
There was never any support for wildcards in the table parameter,
except for a mistaken comment in pg_dump --help.

I would not mind seeing support for actual pattern matching
(eg "--table=foo*" to select all tables beginning with "foo"),
but I don't see much value in supporting just table=*.  You can
get that result by leaving off the --table switch.

            regards, tom lane