Re: plperl error format vs plpgsql error format vs pgTAP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: plperl error format vs plpgsql error format vs pgTAP
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Kevin Field <kevinjamesfield@gmail.com> writes:
> I use pgTAP to make sure my functions produce the correct errors using
> throws_ok().  So when I get an error from a plpgsql function, it looks
> like this:

> ERROR:  upper bound of FOR loop cannot be null
> CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "foo" line 35 at FOR with integer loop
> variable

> ...which I can then test using throws_ok by giving it the string
> 'upper bound of FOR loop cannot be null'.

Surely, this is a completely brain-dead approach to testing errors
in the first place ... what will happen in a localized installation?

What you need is a test that looks at the SQLSTATE code, and little
if anything else.