Re: Drop one-argument string_agg? (was Re: [BUGS] string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Drop one-argument string_agg? (was Re: [BUGS] string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by)
Date
In response to Re: Drop one-argument string_agg? (was Re: [BUGS] string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by)  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
Re: Drop one-argument string_agg? (was Re: [BUGS] string_agg delimiter having no effect with order by)  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Aug 5, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Applied to HEAD and 9.0.  The mistaken case will now yield this:
>> regression=# select string_agg(f1 order by f1, ',') from text_tbl;
>> ERROR:  function string_agg(text) does not exist

> I'm confused: that looks like the two-argument form to me. Have I missed something?

Yeah, the whole point of the thread: that's not a call of a two-argument
aggregate.  It's a call of a one-argument aggregate, using a two-column
sort key to order the aggregate input rows.

> It confuses the shit out of me. It says "string_agg(text)" doesn't exist when that clearly is not the name of the
functionyou've called.

Well, maybe we need to expend some more sweat on the error message then.
But this patch was still a prerequisite thing, because without it there
is no error that we can complain about.