Re: index problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: index problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Marcin Inkielman <marn@wsisiz.edu.pl> writes:
> I created an index using pgaccess rescently. the name of the index was
> long:
> "oceny_stud_numer_albumu_protokoloceny_stud"
> now i am unable to vacuum my database.

Oh dear :-( ... it seems that when you quote an identifier, the system
forgets to make sure that it's truncated to no more than 31 characters.
You've got a corrupted pg_class entry now for that index.

> my question is:
> how may i delete this index in my original database???

Dropping the table that the index is on should work.  Hopefully
restoring just the one table is better than restoring your whole DB.

In the meantime, this is a high-priority bug fix...

            regards, tom lane