Re: invalid search_path complaints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: invalid search_path complaints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Scott Mead <scottm@openscg.com> writes:
> Personally, I feel that if unix will let you be stupid:
>     $ export PATH=/usr/bin:/this/invalid/crazy/path
>     $ echo $PATH
>     /usr/bin:/this/invalid/crazy/path
> PG should trust that I'll get where I'm going eventually :)

Well, that's an interesting analogy.  Are you arguing that we should
always accept any syntactically-valid search_path setting, no matter
whether the mentioned schemas exist?  It wouldn't be hard to do that.
The fun stuff comes in when you try to say "I want a warning in these
contexts but not those", because (a) the behavior you think you want
turns out to be pretty squishy, and (b) it's not always clear from the
implementation level what the context is.