Re: Select for update with outer join broken? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Select for update with outer join broken?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> But did it ever work against a release?  The backend's test code for
>> this was busted for awhile during 8.2devel.

> No, because SQL-standard correct SELECT FOR UPDATE outer join is an 8.2
> feature.  We didn't have it in 8.1.

Josh, you don't know what you're talking about.  The backend's
capabilities for this have not moved an inch since 8.1 (transient bugs
in its error checking do not represent an advance in capability),
and furthermore I'm not seeing anyplace in the SQL spec that suggests
the nullable side of an outer join should be updatable.