Re: transaction time and log analysis - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: transaction time and log analysis
Date
List pgsql-admin
Kasia Tuszynska <ktuszynska@esri.com> writes:
> 1. Is there anything I could do to in postgresql.conf file to speed up the time it takes postgres to commit a
transaction?

If you want the traditional guarantee that "commit" means "your data is
safely down on persistent storage", there's not much you can do except
buy better storage hardware.  A disk controller card with battery-backed
cache can be a relatively inexpensive solution.  Try the pgsql-performance
archives for more information than you need on that topic.

If you're willing to live with weaker guarantees, consider disabling
synchronous_commit.

> 2. Is there anything better than pg_fouine to analyze logs?

No idea on that one.

            regards, tom lane