Re: LGPL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: LGPL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"John Hansen" <john@geeknet.com.au> writes:
> Is there any reason why we would not be able to use LGPL code in PG?

Another point of view on this: it's OK to use LGPL code if it's
available on the local platform, so long as we don't *require* it to be
present.  It's even safer if the LGPL code is merely one implementation
of an API that has other implementations under different licenses.
For instance I have no fear at all of linking to glibc, and little of
linking to libreadline (the latter because we can also use the BSD
libedit).

If we could not build without libreadline then we would have a very
big problem.  And we certainly aren't going to textually incorporate
any new LGPL (or GPL) code into our distribution.