Re: FDW Foreign Table Access: strange LOG message - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: FDW Foreign Table Access: strange LOG message
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/22/2018 11:08 AM, Albrecht Dreß wrote:
> Hi Adrian:
>
> Am 21.03.18 19:25 schrieb(en) Adrian Klaver:
>> Does it also happen when you open a psql session and do?:
>>
>> psql>select * from ext_table limit 1;
>
> No messages are printed whilst the session is open.  However, when I
> quit the session by typing “\q” /after/ entering the command above, the
> LOG message appears.  It does not appear when I query tables from my_db
> exclusively, though, i.e. when I do not access the Foreign Table.

Seems to back up Tom Lanes's observation:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/30297.1521574736%40sss.pgh.pa.us
"If these are about the FDW connections, maybe the answer is that
postgres_fdw ought to establish a backend-exit callback in which
it can shut down its connections gracefully.  If it's doing that
now, I sure don't see where."

Looks like it might be time to file a bug report:

https://www.postgresql.org/account/submitbug/

>> I am not seeing --contrib which is where I would expect postgres_fdw
>> to come from.
>
> Apparently, it is packaged with the main server deb file:
>
> albrecht@odysseus:~$ dpkg -S $(find /usr/share/postgresql -name "*fdw*")
> postgresql-10: /usr/share/postgresql/10/extension/file_fdw--1.0.sql
> postgresql-10: /usr/share/postgresql/10/extension/file_fdw.control
> postgresql-10: /usr/share/postgresql/10/extension/postgres_fdw--1.0.sql
> postgresql-10: /usr/share/postgresql/10/extension/postgres_fdw.control
>
> …and additionally it contains /usr/lib/postgresql/10/postgres_fdw.so, of
> course.  I double-checked the package
> http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/pool/main/p/postgresql-10/postgresql-10_10.3-1.pgdg90+1_amd64.deb;
> it is installed properly.

My mistake, I was looking at an install that had Postgres 9.6. In that
case the files for 9.6 where in --contrib, presumably because 10 is now
the default.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com