Re: [9.3 bug fix] backends emit hundreds of messages when statistics file is inaccessible - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [9.3 bug fix] backends emit hundreds of messages when statistics file is inaccessible
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"MauMau" <maumau307@gmail.com> writes:
> I've found a bug in PostgreSQL 9.3 beta 2 which is related to statistics
> collection which emits excesssive amount of error messages.  Please find
> attached the patch to fix this.  I confirmed this problem occurs in
> PostgreSQL 9.2, too.  Could you backport this?

It's not apparent that this is a good idea, let alone a bug fix.

> If the directory specified by stats_temp_directory becomes inaccessible to
> postgres, enormous amount of WARNING messages are output.

Well, yeah, because all of that functionality just broke.  Not warning
about it doesn't seem like a good idea.  AFAICT, your patch would result
in the situation not being remarked on anywhere except in the postmaster
log.