Re: CREATE USER - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CREATE USER
Date
Re: CREATE USER  (Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-docs
> Well, I know we support the new pg_dump dumping back to 7.1, but I don't
> know what our policy is for accepting old dumps.

We're still going to very large lengths to load pre-7.3 dumps; see
for instance ConvertTriggerToFK() in trigger.c.  I'm not aware of any
policy that would suggest blowing off pre-8.1 dumps should be
acceptable.  Yeah, it's true that the *recommended* procedure is to
use the newer pg_dump, but people aren't always in a position to do
that.

I think it might be sane to emit a WARNING suggesting that CREATEUSER
might not mean what you think, but failing is probably not good.

            regards, tom lane