Re: Remote Connection Help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Remote Connection Help
Date
List pgsql-general
"Jason L. Amerson" <drjason@alphagenius.org> writes:
> I connected to PostgreSQL locally. I ran “show listen_addresses;” and it returned “localhost.” I ran “show port;” and
itreturned “5432.” I am now confused. I edited the “postgresql.conf” file and change the setting to ‘*’. Then I
restartedthe server with “service postgresql restart.” I was in root since I had to edit the config files. I thought
maybeI edited the wrong file, like maybe there were two in two different locations or something. I ran “show
confg_file;”and it returned “/usr/local/psql/data/postgresql.conf.” That is the same file I edited from the start. To
besure, I edited the file by using “nano /usr/local/psql/data/postgresql.conf.” I went down and found that I did have
itas “listen_addresses = ‘*’ yet when I run “show listen_addresses”, it shows “localhost.” I am confused. When I run
“netstat-nlt”, the results show that it is listening to “127.0.0.1:5432.”

According to what you wrote here, you did everything right, so it's
something you failed to mention.

One thing I'm wondering is whether you removed the comment symbol (#)
from the listen_addresses line when you edited it.  As installed,
postgresql.conf is pretty much all comments.

You might get more insight from

select * from pg_settings where name = 'listen_addresses';

particularly the source, sourcefile, sourceline fields.

            regards, tom lane