Re: reldesc does not exit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: reldesc does not exit
Date
List pgsql-general
"Darrin Ladd" <dladd@newfoundcomm.net> writes:
> Uh oh, yes, I do get the same notice when truncating other tables, even
> tables not in the same database :(

OK, so it's not so data-dependent after all.  Sounds like it's probably
a flat-out bug associated with 64-bit-int machines.  Curious that we
haven't heard about it before; you're certainly not the only person
running Postgres on Alphas.

The notice as such is pretty harmless, but if I'm right that it
indicates a lookup failure in the hashtable code, there's a potential
for much more serious problems caused by lookup failures in other
hashtables.  It needs to be investigated.

pgsql.com has an Alpha on loan from DEC that I will try to reproduce
the problem on, but that machine seems to be down at the moment :-(.
I believe that machine isn't running RedHat anyway, but DEC Unix,
so it's possible that it won't show the problem.  In that case I
might need to ask for a temporary account on your machine (doesn't
have to be the postgres account, just an unprivileged user account
that I can compile a debug version of the code on...)

Will keep you posted.

            regards, tom lane