Re: UNION and pg_restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UNION and pg_restore
Date
List pgsql-general
Bryan Lee Nuse <nuse@uga.edu> writes:
>> Now you're doubtless wondering why Postgres doesn't dodge this ambiguity
>> for you.

> This is exactly what I was wondering, of course.  And I follow the reasoning behind why it cannot, at present.  If
Postgrescan't ensure that the view definition is valid SQL, though, what about the (seemingly more manageable) idea of
providingsome kind of notice when that definition is not re-loadable?  Perhaps pg_dump could do this?

I spent considerable time thinking about this last week, and have a
draft patch that fixes this issue and some related ones:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-12/msg01694.php
So hopefully this hazard will be gone in 9.3.  I doubt we'd risk
back-patching the change though.

            regards, tom lane