Re: JIT breaks PostGIS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: JIT breaks PostGIS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christoph Berg <myon@debian.org> writes:
> The question will be coming up eventually, though, and I think the
> options on the packaging side are:

> 1) Disable jit completely
> 2) Compile --with-llvm, but disable jit in the config by default
> 3) Compile --with-llvm, but disable jit for older llvm versions
> 4) Enable jit everywhere where llvm >= 3.9 is available

> Option 4 is what the Debian packages implement now, but it might make
> sense to go to 2 or 3 for PG11 (only).

Well, right now JIT is certainly beta-quality code, so you ought
to expect bugs.  We have an open item at
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_11_Open_Items
to decide whether to ship v11 with JIT enabled by default or not,
but I don't expect that decision will be taken until much closer
to release.  Until then, I think you should be doing (4) so that
we can gather data to inform the eventual decision.