Re: psql \G command -- send query and output using extended format - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql \G command -- send query and output using extended format
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane escribi�:
>> Huh?  The proposed syntax was
>>
>> \x  query...
>>
>> What do you do when you'd like the query to extend over multiple lines?
>> Backslash commands can't cross lines.

> Save the fact that the current query is extended, until query end?

Yech.  To name just a couple of problems, what if you decide after
typing another line or two that you didn't want \x after all?
Action-at-a-distance commands suck.  You'd also find that this didn't
play very nicely with history recall, since the history stuff assumes
that a line starting with a backslash command is separate from those
around it.

If we want this at all, we should do it the way first proposed (\G).