Re: proposal - reglanguage type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: proposal - reglanguage type
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I miss a reglanguage type from our set of reg* types.

I'm skeptical about this.  I don't think we want to wind up with a reg*
type for every system catalog, so there needs to be some rule about which
ones it's worth the trouble for.  The original idea was to provide a reg*
type if the lookup rule would be anything more complicated than "select
oid from <catalog> where name = 'foo'".  We went beyond that with
regnamespace and regrole, but I think there was a sufficient argument of
usefulness for those two.  I don't see that reglanguage has enough of
a use-case.