Re: Proposal: OUT parameters for plpgsql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal: OUT parameters for plpgsql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Do other databases not allow you to specify a return value in addition to the
> OUT and INOUT parameters?

Oracle discourages OUT parameters in a function, so PL/SQL at least
shouldn't be a big source of cases where that's a problem.

> I would have expected the return value to be an extra column added to the
> record.

I'd prefer not to do that, because having a "return type" that's
different from the true return type of the function (ie the RECORD)
is going to cause untold amounts of confusion.