Re: random() function produces wrong range - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: random() function produces wrong range
Date
List pgsql-general
Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com> writes:
> Actually, on my machines, both man pages for rand() and random() say
> they return values between 0 and RAND_MAX (whether that's true or not
> is another matter).  In my case RAND_MAX==INT_MAX so the change wouldn't
> be a problem, but it might be problematic on some of the 64 bit machines.

Oh, that's interesting.  What platform do you use?  If RAND_MAX applies
to random() on some machines that'd probably explain why the code is
written like it is.  But on my box (HPUX) the rand() function is old
and crufty and considerably different from random().

            regards, tom lane