Re: Manipulating complex types as non-contiguous structures in-memory - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Manipulating complex types as non-contiguous structures in-memory
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2015 at 08:52:56AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>>> BTW, I'm not all that thrilled with the "deserialized object" terminology.
>>> I found myself repeatedly tripping up on which form was serialized and
>>> which de-.  If anyone's got a better naming idea I'm willing to adopt it.

>> My first thought is that we should form some kind of TOAST-like
>> backronym, like Serialization Avoidance Loading and Access Device
>> (SALAD) or Break-up, Read, Edit, Assemble, and Deposit (BREAD).  I
>> don't think there is anything per se wrong with the terms
>> serialization and deserialization; indeed, I used the same ones in the
>> parallel-mode stuff.  But they are fairly general terms, so it might
>> be nice to have something more specific that applies just to this
>> particular usage.

> The words that sprung to mind for me were: packed/unpacked.

Trouble is that we're already using "packed" with a specific connotation
in that same area of the code, namely for short-header varlena values.
(See pg_detoast_datum_packed() etc.)  So I don't think this will work.
But maybe a different adjective?