Re: psql \dC incorrectly shows casts "with inout" as "binary coercible" on 9.5.14 and 11beta3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: psql \dC incorrectly shows casts "with inout" as "binary coercible" on 9.5.14 and 11beta3
Date
In response to psql \dC incorrectly shows casts "with inout" as "binary coercible"on 9.5.14 and 11beta3  ("jean.pierre.pelletier0" <jean.pierre.pelletier0@gmail.com>)
Re: psql \dC incorrectly shows casts "with inout" as "binary coercible" on 9.5.14 and 11beta3
List pgsql-hackers
"jean.pierre.pelletier0" <jean.pierre.pelletier0@gmail.com> writes:
> To reproduce, compare the output of \dC on two built-in casts(json to jsonb) and (xml to text) where only the the
firstis really "with inout".

Hm, yeah, it just does

                      "       CASE WHEN castfunc = 0 THEN '(binary coercible)'\n"
                      "            ELSE p.proname\n"
                      "       END as \"%s\",\n"

without regard for the castmethod column (which it can't necessarily
assume is there, anyway).  It's hard to be sure after all these
years whether this was intentional or just an oversight, unless maybe
Heikki remembers ... but I tend to agree that "(with inout)" would be
more apropos than "(binary coercible)".

Not sure if this rises to the level of a back-patchable bug.
People might be surprised if we change that output in minor releases.
But we could still squeeze it into v11, I think.