Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full
Date
Re: Listen / Notify - what to do when the queue is full  (Arnaud Betremieux <arnaud.betremieux@keyconsulting.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
Arnaud Betremieux <arnaud.betremieux@keyconsulting.fr> writes:
> 3) My use case          : NOTIFY channel 'pay'||'load' (actually NOTIFY
> channel '<table_name>#'||OLD.id)
> 4) Taken one step further : NOTIFY channel (SELECT payload FROM payloads
> WHERE ...)

> I'm working on a proof of concept patch to use Joachim's new notify
> function to introduce case 3. I think this means going through the
> planner and executor, so I might as well do case 4 as well.

It would be a lot less work to introduce a function like send_notify()
that could be invoked within a regular SELECT.  Pushing a utility
statement through the planner/executor code path will do enough violence
to the system design that such a patch would probably be rejected out of
hand.