Re: killing process question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: killing process question
Date
List pgsql-general
"Johnson, Shaunn" <SJohnson6@bcbsm.com> writes:
> --generally speaking, how long should this run?

> (gdb) attach 3488
> Attaching to program: /usr/bin/postgres, process 3488

Not very long --- it takes a couple seconds, for me, on a machine that's
not fast by today's standards.

> --i know i should be patient, but i'm trying to figure
> --out if this should take more than 20 minutes or if
> --i've done something wrong.  (OR, should that be postmaster
> --and not postgres in the above line?)

postgres is correct.  But are you sure that you are pointing to the same
postgres executable that the process is running?  Perhaps gdb could get
confused if you point to the wrong version.

            regards, tom lane