Re: Parsing of backslash in statements via ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Parsing of backslash in statements via ODBC
Date
List pgsql-general
"Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101@fjrhome.net> writes:
> Given that this issue is a violation of SQL compatibility, shouldn't
> there really be an option to turn off interpretation of backslash
> characters in string literals as escapes?  Maybe as a session variable
> of some kind, with a default being set in postgresql.conf?

That has about as much chance of getting in as a session variable to
change the identifier-case-folding behavior, and for the same reason:
any such variable is certain to break tons of existing client-side code
that doesn't know about it.  We already learned this lesson with respect
to autocommit :-(.

It is irritating that we can't easily support exactly-spec-compliant
applications, and I'd like to find a solution.  But a GUC variable
ain't it.  See past discussions about case-folding behavior for some
of the ramifications.

            regards, tom lane