Re: broken index references - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: broken index references
Date
List pgsql-docs
Josh Kupershmidt <schmiddy@gmail.com> writes:
> If you search through recent 9.2 or 9.3dev PDFs for the string "??"
> you should find ten occurrences. Other than the first instance in
> Chapter 9, the other nine are all in the index, and indicate an
> unknown reference to some index entry. ...
> AFAICT tex is getting confused by <indexterm> entries appearing before
> <term>. Or at least, switching the order seems to fix the problem.
> Patch attached.

Great catch, patch applied.

A different PDF-output problem that I've been noticing for awhile is that
certain intra-page links don't work.  The only clue I've found about it
is the warnings in the TeX log, for instance:

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-CREATETABLE-COMPATIBILITY-TITLE} has been refer
enced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-CREATEINDEX-STORAGE-PARAMETERS-TITLE} has been
referenced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-CREATETABLE-STORAGE-PARAMETERS-TITLE} has been
referenced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-CREATEINDEX-CONCURRENTLY-TITLE} has been refere
nced but does not exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-GROUPBY-TITLE} has been referenced but does not
 exist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-WHERE-TITLE} has been referenced but does not e
xist, replaced by a fixed one

pdfTeX warning (dest): name{SQL-FROM-TITLE} has been referenced but does not ex
ist, replaced by a fixed one

If you look at the relevant intrapage links on these reference pages,
you find that they look right (the text does correspond to the
referenced title item), but the link actually goes to page 1 of the PDF.
(This is with the Fedora 16 PDF toolchain.)  Any idea what's causing that?

            regards, tom lane