Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> OK, I moved the entry into 'data types', and listed two entries instead
> of one:

>     <para>
>     Allow extensions and built-in data types to implement subscripting (Tom Lane)
>     </para>

Better, but Dmitry Dolgov gets the credit not me.

>     <para>
>     Previously subscript handling was hard-coded into the server and
>     was difficult to add to date types.
>     </para>
>     </listitem>

"Difficult"?  I don't think it was possible at all.  Perhaps

    Previously subscript handling was hard-coded into the server,
    so that subscripting could only be applied to array types.
    This change allows subscript notation to be used to extract
    or assign portions of a value of any type for which the concept
    makes sense.

>     JSONB subscripting can be used to extract from and assign to
>     JSONB documents.

Perhaps "extract and assign to portions of JSONB documents" or
something like that?