Re: Granting Browser Access to pgsql database. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Granting Browser Access to pgsql database.
Date
List pgsql-novice
Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org> writes:
> * James Snelling <fatboy2000@btinternet.com> [001115 14:09]:
>> However, I still get the line:
>> NOTICE:  Unrecognized variable client_encoding

> The DB probably was built with --enable-multibyte set, but psql is
> finding a libpq that doesn't have it.

Other way round, actually: libpq is sending a SET command to set the
client-side multibyte encoding, and the backend doesn't know what to
do with it.  It's harmless enough, as long as you aren't expecting
multibyte characters to work ;-)

For 7.1, I've tweaked the backend so that even without
--enable-multibyte, it will accept SET client_encoding = 'SQL_ASCII'
(but *not* any other value).  This should eliminate unnecessary
notices when using clients compiled with a different feature set.

            regards, tom lane