Re: IO Timeout - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: IO Timeout
Date
List pgsql-admin
Alex Turner <armtuk@gmail.com> writes:
> I have a question about IO timeouts:
> We are using the 3ware escalade 9500S series of cards, and we had a
> drive failure this morning.  Apparnetly the card waits 30 seconds for
> the drive to respond, and if it doesn't, it put's the drive in a fail
> state.  Postgres it seems didn't wait 30 seconds before it decided
> that the system was upset, and put the database in maintainence mode.

> Is there a way to increase to IO wait timeout so this doesn't happen?

Postgres hasn't got any "IO timeouts".  Your concern would be better
directed to whatever kernel you're using; any sort of timeout on a disk
operation would be happening at the kernel level.

For that matter, Postgres hasn't got any concept of "putting the
database in maintainence mode", so you haven't described what happened
very accurately at all.

            regards, tom lane